3 tblsp Unsalted butter
1.5 each Onions chopped finely
0.5 cups Crystallized ginger, minced
1 tblsp Ginger, grated
2 each Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
0.5 tblsp Honey
2 lbs Carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2.5 cups Carrot juice
2.5 cups Water
0.5 tblsp Thyme, fresh, removed from stem
0.8 tblsp Baking soda
1 tblsp Salt
2 tblsp Apple cider vinegar
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, garlic, salt, and honey; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened but not browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add carrots, water, carrot juice, thyme, and baking soda and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until carrots are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Process soup with immersion blender until smooth.
- Return to simmer over medium heat. Add vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If storing in jars, leave an inch of room at top to allow for expansion should the jar be frozen.