1 pound Brussels sprouts (use medium size), trimmed and cut in half
1 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups quinoa, (prewashed preferred)
Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl add Brussels sprouts, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Oil 1 baking sheet with olive oil. Place the brussels sprouts on the sheet cut side down.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. The Brussels sprouts should be browned on the edges and tender.
- Repeat process with mushrooms, beginning with step 2. The mushrooms should be soft and there should be juice on the baking sheet. Save the juice.
- Toast quinoa in a large pan over medium high heat, stirring often until quinoa is very fragrant and makes continuous popping sounds, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups of water and 2 teaspoon salt and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the water is almost absorbed and quinoa is nearly tender, about 15 minutes.
- Gremolata – in a small bowl, mix together garlic, parsley and lemon zest
- Combine Brussels sprouts, gremolata, mushrooms with the juice, and quinoa into a large bowl.
- Toss together.
- Top with Parmesan cheese if desired and serve.