2 tsp California olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
15 oz can Cuban style black beans (don’t drain)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp dried Mexican oregano
salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy medium sized pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, water, cumin, bay leaf, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice absorbs most of the water and water just barely skims the top of the rice
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes (don’t peek).
- Make sure you have a good seal on your cover, the steam cooks the rice.
- After 20 minutes, shut flame off and let it sit, covered another 5 minutes (don’t open the lid).
- Serve with Cuban Style Chicken Stew