8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or 1 (3 1⁄2–4-lb.) chicken, quartered
1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
3 cloves garlic, lightly smashed
1⁄3 cup olive oil
1 large green or red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
1 cup dry white wine or low sodium chicken stock
1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
1⁄4 cup pimento-stuffed olives
2 tbsp. capers
1⁄4 cup raisins
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine lime and orange juice, garlic, chicken, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper in a bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; chill 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade; pat dry using paper towels and reserve marinade. Working in batches, cook chicken, flipping once, until browned, 8–10 minutes. (Optional step, skip browning chicken)
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add bell pepper and onion to pan; cook until soft, 6–8 minutes. Add wine (or stock); cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until reduced by half, 5–7 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and add reserved marinade, potatoes, olives, raisins, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and 1⁄2 cup water; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until chicken and potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in peas before serving.