The Power of Herbs & Spices
Herbs and spices can not only enliven the palate but also aid in supporting a long and healthy life especially when consumed in combination with a healthy diet, exercise, and other positive lifestyle choices.
Herbs and spices contain a wide range of compounds, such as antioxidants, and flavonoids. These compounds can have a variety of effects on the body, including reducing inflammation, boosting the immune system, and improving digestion.
Here are some benefits that can be derived from some of the more common herbs and spices:
- Improved digestion: ginger and peppermint have been shown to improve digestion and reduce symptoms of indigestion and bloating.
- Reduced inflammation: turmeric and cinnamon have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body and prevent chronic diseases.
- Boosted immune system: garlic, echinacea, and elderberry have been shown to boost the immune system and help fight off infections.
- Improved mental health: ashwagandha and lavender, have been shown to have calming and stress-reducing effects, which can help improve mental health.
There are many ways to ingest herbs and spices, and the best method will depend on the specific herb or spice you’re using and your individual preferences.
Here are a few common methods:
- Capsules or tablets: Many herbs and spices are available in capsule or tablet form, which can be an easy and convenient way to supplement your diet.
- Teas: Drinking herbal teas made from herbs and spices is a popular way to consume them and can provide a relaxing and soothing experience.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are liquid extracts made from herbs and spices, which can be added to drinks or taken directly under the tongue for fast absorption.
- Cooking: Adding herbs and spices to your cooking is a great way to incorporate them into your diet and can provide a variety of flavors and health benefits.
Additional information can be found in the below infographics: