These scrumptious and healthy muffins are a great way to start your day, providing complex carbohydrates and fiber. Zucchini and peaches are known as phytonutrients and act as antioxidants in the body. The ratio of fruits, nuts and oat flakes to flour make them deliciously moist and wonderful for digestion. The sweetness comes from the natural sweetness of the fruit, enhanced with a dash of coconut sugar and the coconut oil which is a healthy fat. And, of course the protein content that comes from walnuts or pecans, eggs and yogurt is an added benefit. Enjoy these muffins with a cup of tea in the morning or anytime as a treat!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 20-22 minutes
Yield: 24 muffins
- 2/3 cup rolled oat flakes
- 2-2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cups coconut sugar
- 1-2/3 cups peaches, diced
- 1-2/3 cups zucchini, finely grated
- 1 lemon (juice & zest)
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped coarsely
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil softened*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350’. Mix flour, oat flakes, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder in a large bowl and set aside.
In another mixing bowl combine coconut oil, yogurt, sugar, eggs & vanilla until smooth. *Oil should be soft, but not liquified. Place in the refrigerator for a few minutes until a soft consistency is reached.
Add dry ingredients and stir until combined. Add lemon zest and juice, zucchini, peaches, nuts and raisins or cranberries (if using).
Fill 24 muffin cups, 3/4 full.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.