4 tablespoons organic unsalted butter
1 shallot, thinly sliced
3/8 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups water
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, (reserving ½ the peels)
cut potatoes in half lengthwise and slice ¼ inch thick
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Minced fresh chives
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallot and thyme and cook until shallot is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and reserved peels. Add water to cover, increase heat to high, and bring to simmer. Remove pot from heat and let stand uncovered for 20 minutes. This reduces the starch content.
- Add honey, vinegar, 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until potatoes are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, process soup in blender or immersion blender until smooth, 45 to 60 seconds. Return soup to clean pot. Bring to simmer over medium heat, adjusting consistency if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, topping each portion with sprinkle of chives.
Note: Reserved peels add depth of flavor to the soup.