This main course entree is filled with disease-fighting antioxidants and important nutrients. Both Amaranth and dark leafy greens contain a plant compound that is high in cancer-fighting antioxidants, while turkey not only adds flavor, but is low in fat and provides a good source of the trace mineral selenium which contains anti-cancer properties. Enjoy these fiber-fabulous patties anytime!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Soaking time: overnight
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12-14 patties
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup dry amaranth
- 1 cup zucchini or summer squash, shredded
- 2-3 cups of greens; your choice of kale chard, spinach arugula or other green, leafy vegetable, stemmed removed and chopped small
- 1/2 cup of white or yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup goat or feta cheese may be used; eliminate salt
1/2 cup fresh parsley or basil
Preparation for amaranth (night before cooking):
Place amaranth in a bowl and cover with room temperature water. Allow to soak overnight.
Preparation (next day):
Preheat oven to 350’. Lightly oil a medium size baking sheet and set aside.
Put amaranth in a pot and add water to cover by 1/2”. Bring to a boil, cover and then lower heat to simmer for about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for another 10 minutes. Drain liquid, squeezing any excess.
In a large mixing bowl combine the ground turkey, shredded zucchini (partially squeezed to remove moisture) and amaranth. Added the cooled vegetables and mix to combine.
To shape the patties, using an ice cream scoop, cookie scoop or spoon. Divide evenly and shape into patties that are approximately 2”-3” in diameter.
Bake in the oven at 350’ for 15 minutes. Internal temperature should be a minimum of 165’ and patties should be turning a browning on the top and edges.