This healthy and comforting casserole is prepared with a ground turkey tomato sauce that is layered with flavorful vegetables, fresh herbs and baked with a blend of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. It is delicious and satisfying for these cooler weather months!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4-5 Main Dish Servings
- 1 pound, ground turkey
- 2-3 pounds zucchini and summer squash and/or eggplant sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 red, green or yellow peppers cored and sliced into 1-1/2” thick strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (organic, if available)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (organic, if available)
- 1-2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon, salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
Optional: 2 cups of greens, chopped and sautéed.
Preheat oven to 425. Lightly oil baking sheet and set aside.
Arrange the zucchini, squash and eggplant in a single layer on the sheet pans. Lightly brush with oil and roast until golden, about 12-15 minutes, set aside when done.
Break apart the ground turkey and add to sauté’ pan, that has been lightly oiled. Lightly brown and remove turkey. Set aside. Using same pan add a small amount of water to deglaze, add the onion and garlic sautéing over medium heat until translucent, about 4-6 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and the oregano. Stir to combine, bringing the mixture to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer allow the sauce to thicken, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add the turkey, chopped basil, vinegar and salt.
For assembly, spread a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of a small baking dish. Arrange about one-third of the roasted vegetable slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly to create a packed layer. Follow with another layer of the turkey tomato sauce, top with greens if using and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and parmesan.
Repeat layering with remaining ingredients. Top with the parmesan cheese and bake uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Sauce should be bubbling and top brown. You may cover loosely with aluminum foil until completely cooked.
Bake at 350F uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, about 20 minutes. If top is browning too quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil.
When baking is complete, cool for a minimum of 15 minutes to set before serving.