2 tablespoons extra-virgin California olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
1 tsp California chili powder
1 29 oz can white hominy, drained
6 cups vegetable broth or water
1 15 oz can diced organic tomatoes
4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped (2 pounds)
½ fresh lime, juiced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and carrot and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano and chili powder, and sauté for about 10 seconds.
- Stir in the hominy, broth, tomatoes, potato, and zucchini. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.