About Culinary Angels
Culinary Angels is a volunteer, donation-based organization that provides nutrient-rich meals and nutrition education to people going through a cancer challenge, as well as to their caregivers. Meals are delivered free-of-charge throughout the Tri-Valley area in California.
Our program believes that caregivers play a critical part in a person’s ability to heal and recover. Therefore we provide meals not only to the recipient, but to their caregiver in a effort to support the stress and responsibilities that can often go along with this role.
Culinary Angels was created to not only provide hope, health and wellness, but the opportunity to exemplify nutritional education to its recipients. Our service visually represents a healthy, healing meal, as well as providing critical ingredients that promote fortification at a time in a person’s life where they can experience the benefits.
Our volunteers are trained to cook with as many organic ingredients as possible and focus on nutrient-rich, plant-based, seasonal ingredients. Emphasis is placed on using cruciferous vegetables, sea vegetables and homemade broths in our soups. Culinary Angels believes this philosophy will help promote health, wellness, and hope to people who are compromised by their challenge. Organic, healing foods are an important part of our bodies' natural instinct to be well!
We are fortunate to partner with Fertile Groundworks, Sunflower Hill, Clare’s Fare, and Florescent Farms who together supply the majority of our produce! All vegetables are organic and locally cultivated. Culinary Angels is privileged to be a recipient of these beautiful and healthy vegetables.
We could not provide our service without the amazing partnership with Irby Ranch Pleasanton. Sunflower Hill at Irby Ranch allows Culinary Angels full use of their industrial kitchen as well as endless support and encouragement.
Culinary Angels was founded by Lisa McNaney in November of 2016.
Our Nutritional Standards
- Whole foods
- Plant strong, with option for lean meat entree (poultry)
- 99% organic and/or regenerative
- Emphasis on local, seasonal and unrefined ingredients
- Low Glycemic - we use small amounts of maple syrup, honey, dates or coconut sugar in our healthy sweet bites
- Low Salt - we only use Himalayan pink salt and liquid aminos (soy or coconut)
- Low dairy, with an emphasis on cultured
- Mostly no gluten, although facility is not certified gluten-free
- High in therapeutic ingredients: medicinal mushrooms, seaweed, herbs, cruciferous vegetables, green leafy vegetables, raw apple cider vinegar, miso paste
- Healthy fats: olive oil, coconut oil, sprouted seeds: pumpkin, sunflower and sesame, and their butters, and raw nuts: walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews and their butters
- Whole grains like brown rice, farro, quinoa, oats, amaranth, activated to increase digestibility
- Beans and lentils like black, pinto, garbanzo, cannellini, adzuki and variety of lentils and peas, activated to increase digestibility